Lentil (or Bean) Salad Recipe
|Prep time||6 minutes|
This lentil salad recipe is especially super-quick and easy if you use canned lentils or beans. Try black beans, white beans or chickpeas for a tasty change-out.
|1||c||dry lentils (or 11.5-oz. can of beans, drained)|
|1||c||frozen corn kernels|
|20||cherry or grape tomatoes (optional)|
|1||medium onion, diced|
|top with black pepper, diced red pepper & parsley, if desired|
- If cooking dry lentils: place lentils and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until lentils are just tender. Otherwise, open can of beans and drain well in colander, rinsing beans under cool water. Place into medium-size bowl.
- Shred carrots into bowl with beans. Place frozen corn in a colander and run under warm water until thawed. Slice tomatoes in half, if using. Place corn and tomatoes into bowl with carrots and beans.
- Stir together dressing ingredients and pour over veggies/beans (it will keep the carrots from turning brown too).
- Pour 1 teaspoon olive oil into small skillet and sauté onion for about 3 minutes, sprinkling with a little salt and pepper. Add to other veggies in bowl.
- When lentils are tender and done cooking, drain any remaining water and add them to the bowl with the prepared vegetables and dressing. Stir gently and serve topped with diced red pepper, minced parsley and black pepper (if desired).